Wisconsin Death Records
- Wisconsin Newspapers, Full Search (1833-1992), 150 titles
- Wisconsin Obituary Search - (1989-current)
- Wisconsin Funeral Notices
Walnut Hill Cemetery (Baraboo Cemetery)
Baraboo, Sauk County, Wisconsin
1803 East Street
Lat: 43° 29' 05"N, Lon: 89° 44' 42"W
Contributed by Kathy Waddell, Jul 07, 2001, last edited, Jul 05, 2010 [firstname.lastname@example.org]. Total records = 11,226.
|Click photo to enlarge|
Located on County A (East Street), north of Baraboo at the city limits, on the west side of the street. (St. Joseph's Catholic Cemetery is located at the north end of the cemetery property). The cemetery is directly across from Walnut Hill Bible Church and is bordered by Madison Street on the south side.
The Sexton is Rick Stieve, Office hours are Mon - Fri, 7-4 or by appointment. The office is located behind a private residence at 1803 East Street.
The cemetery is divided into sections with the oldest sections at the eastern most part of the cemetery. The newest sections are at the western most part of the cemetery. Some of the Ringling Brothers, their parents, and other relatives are buried in this cemetery.
The first death in the Baraboo Valley of a white person was of a man named Dr John Morrison. He was a resident of Jefferson County. He died of apoplexy on Mar 15, 1844. He was taken to his home for burial. The next person that died was Fred Blabern, who drowned in the Baraboo River during the July 1844 flood. His body was never recovered.
In 1845, an employee of George and William Brown, a man named Birdwell, died by the caving of an embankment while he was constructing a dam. His body was interred in an old Indian burying-ground northwest of the village, on what use to be the Ruggles place. Wallace Rowan, one of the area's earliest settlers, was the next to die. It is believed he is buried on a little knoll not far from the man who lost his life in the cave-in. On Dec 15, 1847, George W Brown was accidentally killed by the falling of a mill timber. George has a tombstone at Walnut Hill.
There were three burying grounds before 1855: Mount Mercy, the Indian burying ground on the Ruggles place, and a part of Block 20, of the village of Adams (later Baraboo). The bodies were disinterred and removed to the new plat in Section 26 where Walnut Hill is now located.
I started reading this cemetery in July & August of 2001, new burials were checked January 2002, thus completing this work.
b. = born
c/o = child of
d. = died
d/o = daughter of
f/o = father of
gc/o = grandchild of
ggc/o = great grandchild of
h/o = husband of
m. = married
m/o = mother of
n/t = next to
s/o = son of
s/w = shares with (the plot or the stone)
w/o = wife of
- Kathy Waddell