Home > United States > New York > Queens > St. George's Episcopal Church Cemetery

St. George's Episcopal Church Cemetery
Flushing, Queens County, New York

st. george's episcopal church
St. George's Episcopal Church

GPS: 40.760279, -73.831390

135-32 38th Ave
Queens, NY 11354

Published: August 18, 2016
Total records: 187

St. George's Episcopal Church Cemetery is located along the north and south sides of the Church building.

History

The congregation of St. George's Episcopal Church in Flushing dates back to 1746 when Capt. Hugh Wentworth, a a merchant in the West India trade, donated a half-acre of his farm in Flushing for the construction of a Anglican church and graveyard. The building that stands there today, however, began construction in 1853 and was completed in 1854. It is the third church building to stand there. The cemetery, however, has been there since the parish's founding in 1746.

The cemetery was in active use up until 1887. Rev. J. Carpenter Smith noted that when he arrived in 1847, the graveyard was already too crowded to find any more space. A nineteenth century source stated that many of the grave stones were moved to a public cemetery, while other stones that had fallen down were thrown in a heap behind the church. Even at that time, there were numerous graves whose stones were lost, and many other stones that were unreadable. Other stones were moved away to make room for new construction and expansion.

In 2000, the Landmarks Preservation Commission studied St. George's Episcopal Church and found that about 50 gravemarkers remain along the north and south sides of the church, along with 9 burial vaults dating from the 1840s extend beneath the grass from the churchyard wall along 38th Street.

Cemetery Records

New York Death Records

cemetery records

A free online library of cemetery records from thousands of cemeteries across the world, for historical and genealogy research.

Clear Digital Media, Inc.

follow us

Visit Our Sister Websites