Search New York Death Records
- New York Newspapers, Full Search (1730-2018), 1,027 titles
- New York Obituary Search - (1870-current)
- New York Birth Records Database, (1767-1999)
Old Burial Hill Cemetery
Huntington, Suffolk County, New York
Old Burial Hill Cemetery, Huntington, NY
GPS: 40.871584, -73.423733
228 Main Street
Huntington, NY 11743
Published: March 30, 2019
Huntington Rural Cemetery is managed by Huntington Rural Cemetery Association.
The Old Burying Ground, located on top of the small hill behind the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Building south of Main Street, is the earliest public cemetery in Huntington. Although the earliest headstone still remaining today is dated 1712, it is clear that the cemetery was established in the 17th Century, probably soon after the Town’s founding in 1653.
Also known as Old Burial Ground, Old Burial Hill, or Ancient Burying Ground, the cemetery was clearly historic prior to the American Revolution; however, during that conflict it gained additional notoriety as the scene of the most heinous desecration visited on the Town by the occupying British troops.
- Old Burying Ground (17th Century) & Fort Golgotha (1782), History, (209 KB)
Search New York Cemeteries
Submit a Transcription
Help genealogists worldwide research their family history!- No cost to publish your transcription
- You retain all rights to your work
- No one can edit, change, or delete your work