Search New York Death Records
- New York Newspapers, Full Search (1730-2018), 1,027 titles
- New York Obituary Search - (1870-current)
- New York Birth Records Database, (1767-1999)
Garrison Cemetery (War of 1812)
Cheektowaga, Erie County, New York
Garrison Cemetery, Cheektowaga, NY
GPS: 42.94702, -78.73038
Cheektowaga, NY 14225
Published: March 22, 2022
Total records: 202
Location: Garrison Cemetery is located along the south side of Aero Drive, west of the Buffalo Niagara International Airport runway, about 1,500 feet west of the intersection with S Youngs Rd.
Garrison Cemetery is the offical name of this cemetery though it is more often called, "War of 1812 Cemetery". The cemetery was part of the old Williamsville Field Hospital located at this site. The hospital was erected in 1814 during the War of 1812. Most of the soliders interred here died of bacterial infections that caused dysentery, diarrhea, and other illnesses.
While documents linked below list the names of 202 soliders, it's estimated that hundreds more were buried here, but whose records were lost. An unknown number of British soldiers captured during the Niagara Campaign of 1814 were also buried here, but their names were never recorded.
- Garrison Cemetery, Names of Soliders Interred, (626 KB)
- Garrison Cemetery, Full History, NHRP Application, (53.3 MB)
Browse More Cemetery Records
Search New York Cemeteries
Submit a Transcription
Help genealogists worldwide research their family history!- No cost to publish your transcription
- You retain all rights to your work
- No one can edit, change, or delete your work