Lorain Union Cemetery
Indian Creek, Polk County, Wisconsin
Lat: 45° 42' 42"N, Lon: 92° 14' 18"W
Lorain Twp, T37N R15W Sec 8
Contributed by Wendy Jerry, Sep 10, 2005 [firstname.lastname@example.org]. Total records = 884.
To reach this cemetery from Indian Creek WI, drive west on 345th Ave about 1.5 mi, turn north/right onto 40th Street for 1/2 mile. The cemetery is on south side at the corner, across from Lorain church on 350th at 40th St.
The original cemetery's 2.5 acres was deeded to Lorain Township from Page N. Butts in June of 1881. The cemetery was designated as a "Community Cemetery", and it still is non-denominational. An additional 2 acres was added to the west end of the original plot, 22 Jun 1906, making a total of 4.5 acres. In 1960 Floyd Martin donated another 1 acre to the south of the 4.5 acres. The cemetery now covers a total of 5.5 acres.
This cemetery is now managed and very well maintained by a cemetery board, under supervision of the Lorain Township. Additional fencing has been done to enhance the perimeter of the cemetery. There is a detailed map available from the cemetery sexton, Art Johnson.
Lots and rows are numbered "right/east to left/west" except the Avenue lots run north and south. Blocks A and B each have 20 lots - 20 x 30 feet. Blocks C and D each have 20 lots - 20 x 31 feet. The avenue has 8 lots 21'7" x 30 feet. The new addition originally had 86 lots but 18 were taken for roads. The new addition now has 68 usable lots - 24 x 24 feet. The 1st addition has 111 lots - 12 x 24 feet. All lots have 6 foot alleys running both directions.
During the summer and fall of 1999, Art Johnson Jr and his wife Betty Jo (Anderson) Johnson read the cemetery, compiled this information and had a book published for the township. This edition is current as of Jan 31, 2002, with a few additions in 2003.- Wendy Jerry
Wisconsin Obituaries and Death Notices