John A Paulding Grave
Pacific County, Washington
Contributed by T Sheldon, Aug 28, 2000 [firstname.lastname@example.org]].
Total records = 1.
Transcribed by T Sheldon this 30th day of May, 2000,
Location: approx. Sec 28 T10N R11W On the Wallicut River. According to
the great-granddaughter of John Paulding, she recites, "In the spring
of 1853, John and Ann (Dillon) Paulding and their six children reached
the Pudding River near Champoeg, OR to join their relatives, the Murphy
family. Here they rented and operated a ferry and also made shingles.
In Sep of 1853, Paulding and his son Walter, age 14, started in a skiff
from Oregon City for Pacific County. Thirty miles above Baker's Bay they
fell in with Capt. Allen's scow, in which they completed their trip to
Wallicut River. On board this scow they became acquainted with Mark Bullard
who was bringing four oxen into the county. Landing at the home of Pickernell
(alias John Edmonds) they looked about and located a claim east of Tarlett
Creek, near the junction of the present highway to Long Beach with the
Chinook cutoff. Walter stayed with Capt. Allen's family while his father
went after the remainder of the family. A man named Colville had a claim
on the Wallicut River near Feister's and with the Pauldings stayed until
they could move onto their own place. The claim, being a deserted one,
had a log housepartially built. Mr. Paulding and two of the boys went
there and camped to make it liveable. While there the father, John A.
Paulding, was taken sick and died, and as was customary then, was buried
on the place. The family went to Meldrum's for a while, then when Jehu
Scudder died, his wife went to OR and the Pauldings moved into the Scudder
PAULDING, John, d. 16 Nov 1853
Washington Genealogy Links