Manassas City Cemetery
Manassas, Prince William County, Virginia
|Manassas City Cemetery|
GPS: 38.751071, -77.481027
9317 Center St.
Manassas, VA 20110
Published: August 26, 2016
Total records: 5,600 (approx)
Manassas City Cemetery is owned and operated by City of Manassas.
Manassas City Cemetery has its beginnings going as far back as 1866, the earliest known burial, which is that of William T. Weir. The land was originally the property of Sanford Thurman. On June 11, 1858, William Sanford Fewell received the land from Sanford Thurman's will.
On November 2, 1867, Fewell gifted a one-acre plot of land to the Ladies Memorial Association of Manassas to establish the Confederate Cemetery, which today is located inside the city cemetery.
In 1873, the town of Manassas incorporated, and in the following year, the town began acquiring some of the present day cemetery land. In 1916 and 1917, the town acquired more of the adjoining land to complete the present day cemetery boundaries.
- The Manassas City Cemetery (197 pages, 10.33 MB) compiled by Prince William County Genealogical Society, 1990, includes history and burial records
Virginia Death Records
- Virginia Newspapers, Full Search (1735-1986), 208 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Virginia Obituary Search - (1985-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Virginia Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com