Ashland, Jackson County, Oregon
GPS: 42.193648, -122.704991
E. Main St. & 6th
Ashland, OR 97520
Published: January 21, 2017
Total records: 3,794
Ashland Cemetery is owned and maintained by the City of Ashland.
In 1872, Ashland resident Eber Emery purchased the Isaac D. Smith Donation Land Claim, including a small burial ground that had begun in the 1850s. Emery sold the 4.64 acres containing the cemetery to Ashland School District #5. In 1880, citizens voted to transfer cemetery ownership (with the exception of one acre deeded earlier to the I.O.O.F. (International Order of Oddfellows), to the town trustees. By May 1880, workers had laid out a cemetery plan, surveyed the grounds, and staked off and numbered the lots. This plan incorporated the earlier graves, with the earliest recorded burial dating to 1860.
In 1932, Ashland I.O.O.F. Lodge #45 finally deeded their .98 acre parcel to the City. Ashland Cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1994 and was also listed with Oregon Commission on Historical Cemeteries in 2013.
There are two transcriptions available...
1. Tombstone Inscriptions, by Christina Olson [email@example.com], last edited January 10, 2012.
2. Cemetery records database, acquired from the City of Ashland, January 21, 2017.
Oregon Death Records
- Oregon Newspapers, Full Search (1848-1987), 74 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Oregon Obituary Search - (1988-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Oregon Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com