The cemetery is located off of the Hammond's driveway (dirt road) on
the Arnold Farm - follow the stone wall to an opening and the cemetery
is the first right along the dirt road next to the stone wall.
All persons buried in this cemetery are descendants of John and Amy
Brockway Valentine of Nassau, New York.
The cemetery was originally on the land owned by the Valentines and
which is now owned by the McEneaney family.
This cemetery was "lost" until the restoration by Laura and Kirsten.
It was a Girl Scout Troop 380 project. These Girl Scouts are part of
the Hudson Valley Council and the restoration was their Cadette Girl
Scout Silver Award. They refer to it as the Hudson Valley Restoration,
by Laura McEneaney and Kersten Williams done in the Summer of 2000.
Information comes from the headstones. Some of the headstones were/are
unreadable and from records found some are missing or were never given
headstones. see notes below
- Barbara Svetlick
??, unreadable headstone
Groft, Charles W., d. Jul 30, 1854, AE 11 mo. 27 Ds, son of John
and Jane Groft, And shall we meet him in the sky. So loved and so lamented
here. And shall we greet again on high....[broken off]
Traver, Jerusha, d. Apr 26, 1840, aged 31yr 5d., Wife of Israel
Valantine, Amy, d. Sept 1857 in her 86 year, Wife of John
Valantine, James A., d. Mar 22, 1855, Aged 33 years, 7 mos &
9 ds., s/o Richard & Anna
Valentine, Anna, d. Feb 24, 1841 Aged 42, wife of Richard
Valentine, John W., d. Mar 5 ?? 1854 aged 21 years 7 mos ??,
son of Richard and Anna Valentine
Valentine, Richard P., d. ?? 30, 1849, ..ds....young & fair...early
doom, son of Hiram and Catherine Valentine
Following are additional research records:
The headstone that can't be read could have been John Valentine's.
He died around April 1813 in Nassau from what we believe was an epidemic
since his older brother died about the same time. We have not found
his gravesite or any stone but believe he is buried in the cemetery
since it was originally his farm. It also could be Richard Valentine,
his son, who took over the farm after his father died. The possible
missing during the years that it was used by the Valentine family are:
John Valentine baptised Feb 28, 1761 in Dutchess County, NY (Arthur
M. Kelly, Southeast New York Birth and Baptisms. Patism Records of the
Presby. Church in Brickenhofferville Parents: Matthew Valentine) died
in 1813. He was married to Amy Brockway December 20, 1790. She
was born Jan 1, 1770 in New York and died Sep 18, 1857 (her headstone
is in the cemetery)
Richard Valentine (son of John and Amy Brockway Valentine) bap
Nov 11, 1795 in Nassau, NY and died after 1850 in Nassau. He married Anna
Hoag April 3, 1817 in Rensselear County, Nassau, NY at the Protest.
Dutch Church (LDS Records Film #M510951/Serial #0119 and Reformed Protestant
Dutch Church at Nassau) Anna's headstone is in the cemetery. They have
several children whose gravesites have not been found: two are there.
Valentine, Anna E. , b. 8/31/1816, d. 2/24/1841 (she
died the same month as her mother)
All the children died before their parents except Anna who died a week
after her mother - they are probably all buried in this small cemetery
Anna wife of Richard Valentine died Feb 24, 1841 age 42 ?? 5 months &
?? Anna Hoag was baptised on Sep 26, 1799 (LDS Microfilm #0442387 - Salt
John W. son of Richard and Anna Valentine. John W. Valentine was baptised
Aug 5, 1832. He is listed in the 1850 census records living with the Hoag
family which is his mother's family.
Richard P. son of Hiram and Catherine Valentine - we have no other information
on him other than the headstone.
Charles W. son of John and Jane Groft. We have no information on him other
then the headstone and we're not sure how they are related to the Valentine
Valentine, William H. , b. 8/11/1819, d. 3/1/1820
Valentine, James A. - his headstone is in cemetery
Valentine, John W. - his headstone is in cemetery
Valentine, Alfred, b. 7/31/1834, d. 8/27/1835
Valentine, Henry, b. 7/24/1837, d. 11/28/1837
Valentine, Sylvester, b. 12/8/1838, d. 5/2/1839
All of the headstone found are 1840-1857. The family was in possession
of the farm from John Valentine (late 1700s) until the death of Amy
Valentine in 1857. No information on what happened after that. It has
also been referred to as the Myron Deveraux Farm - but it is believed
that owner came after the Valentine family and may have married into