Walnut Grove Cemetery
Danvers, Essex County, Massachusetts
|Walnut Grove Cemetery|
GPS: 42.559121, -70.940586
30 Sylvan St.
Danvers, MA 01923
Published: January 23, 2017
Total records: 10,020
Walnut Grove Cemetery is managed by a Board of Trustees.
Walnut Grove Cemetery was established in May of 1843, on 14 acres of land in what was then called "North Danvers". The land was purchased from Judge Samuel Putnam. It was the first cemetery in Danvers to be designed as a memorial park.
By October of that year, the first Board of Trustees were formed and the cemetery was incorporated.
Walnut Grove Cemetery was originally named, "Sylvan Rest", but on June 15, 1844, it was renamed to Walnut Grove. On June 22, 1844, more than 2,000 townspeople of Danvers gathered to observe the consecration of Walnut Grove as a cemetery.
A month later, in July 1844, the first burial took place. However, records show that there have been many burials that have taken place earlier, as far back as 1789, perhaps before the land was incorporated as Walnut Grove.
Records published here were acquired from Walnut Grove Cemetery on January 22, 2017. Dates of burial range from 1789 to 2013.
Massachusetts Death Records
- Massachusetts Newspapers, Full Search (1690-1992), 622 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Massachusetts Obituary Search, (1988-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Massachusetts Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com