Search Massachusetts Death Records
- Massachusetts Newspapers, Full Search (1690-1992), 622 titles
- Massachusetts Obituary Search, (1988-current)
- Massachusetts Funeral Notices
Old North Cemetery
Truro, Barnstable County, Massachusetts
GPS: 42.0240, -70.0737
US 6; E and SE of intersection of US 6 and Aldrich Road
Truro, MA 02652
Published: October 12, 2019
Total records: 2,199
Old North Cemetery is the oldest burial ground in Truro, being laid out to the north of, and adjacent to, the town's first meetinghouse in 1713, four years after the town was incorporated.
Those buried in the Old North Cemetery include members of the original proprietors, town officials, clergy, sea captains, and all others associated with the early settlement and development of the town.
The Old North Cemetery was Truro's only burying ground until 1799, when Pine Grove Cemetery was established by the Methodists. Old North remained the only cemetery for the Congregational community until a burying ground was established around the third Congregational Meeting House in Truro Center ca. 1827.
The gravestones embody the distinctive characteristics of 18th and 19th century carvers, including William Codner, Nathaniel Emmes, the Geyers of Boston, the Lamsons of Charlestown, Nathaniel Holmes, and Lemuel Savery. As the cemetery grew, its landscape and funerary art evolved from that of a typical churchyard burial ground to include designs reflective of both the Rural Cemetery and Park Lawn Cemetery movements.
Old North Cemetery is divided into three main sections: North, Center, and South (see plot maps below). The North section is subdivided into two areas, the "Old Stone Section" comprising the original cemetery in the middle of the section, and the surrounding newer lots.
- Old North Cemetery, National Register of Historic Places Application, (19.5 MB)
- Plot Map, North Section, (3.9 MB)
- Plot Map, Center Section, (1.8 MB)
- Plot Map, South Section, (2.0 MB)
Records below were obtained from the Truro Cemetery Commission on October 10, 2019.