Search California Death Records
- California Newspapers, Full Search (1846-2007), 459 titles
- California Obituary Search, (1983-current)
- California Funeral Notices
Imperial County, California
GPS: 33.116640, -115.255869
T12S R16E Sec 24
Amos had been a stop along the Southern Pacific railway, during the late 1800s, located about 13.5 miles north of Glamis. In those days, the steam locomotives required watering stops at about 20 mile intervals.
From 1891 until 1928, a station called "Mammoth Tank" was located somewhere nearby. On a 1928 map, however, is the first use of the name "Amos" for a station. This station exists also on the 1956 Amos Topo map, which shows a cluster of small buildings and the cemetery.
There are a few bits and pieces of what was; the concrete slab for the trackside section house, complete with embedded rails, lies just south of the right-of-way. A survey marker is next-door.
Amos Siding was about 4300-feet long, beginning at MP683.8 and ending just east of this point.
Today, all that remains of Amos is the cemetery and the railroad siding. The trains, having changed to diesel engines, no longer require a watering stop.
To reach the cemetery, travel to the town of Glamis, and head north on the Ted Kipf Road, which parallels the railroad track, for about 13.5 miles. Look carefully to the left and watch for grave markers. The markers lie about 50 feet off the road way.