Queanbeyan Riverside Cemetery
Queanbeyan, Southern Tablelands Region, New South Wales, Australia
Lat: 35° 21'S, Lon: 149° 13'W
Contributed by Barry Stephenson, Jul 02, 2005 [firstname.lastname@example.org]. Total records = 3,907.
The Queanbeyan Riverside cemetery is situated on the bank of the Queanbeyan River. Follow Erin Street to the end of the street and you will come to the Catholic portion on the left hand side of the street. The cemetery then follows a bend in the river.
The Presyterian portion was granted to the Queanbeyan Presyterians 8 Feb 1844 with the first burial taking place 16 Jan 1854. The Catholic portion was consecrated 12 Mar 1849. Consecration of the Anglican portion took place 19 Feb 1850, but burials had been made in the Anglican portion before this date. The Wesleyan section 8 Apr 1850 and the first burial in this section took place 8 Oct 1863. Burials of Jewish people took place in other portions of the cemetery as no area had been set aside.
Many of Canberra's early European settlers are buried in this cemetery. Over the years there have been a number of floods. mainly 1891, 1922, 1925 and 1974. A number of graves and headstones were washed away and broken up by the floods. After the last flood in 1974 the Queanbeyan City Council erected a Stone Cairn in the memory of graves that were washed away in that flood. It is estimated that a total of 200 graves have been washed away in the floods.
After the flood of 1974, 63 bodies and body parts were reburied. The Queanbeyan City Council now looks after the grounds and the grounds are kept in very good condition. The cemetery is now closed to burials unless reservations had been made on plots.
Information gathered on burials and the transcription of all readable headstones took place from March to June 2005. This is not a compete list of burials in the cemetery.
- Barry Stephenson
Cemetery Records Index:
Australia Obituaries and Death Notices