Fort Stevens National Cemetery
1198 Russell Dr, Hammond, OR, 97121
GPS Coordinates:
46.194644, -123.961164
County: Clatsop
Record count: 316
Ownership: National Cemetery Administration, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Directions: Located just outside the city limits of Warrenton along its north-western portion, the cemetery sits at the end of Russell Dr. just south of historic Fort Stevens.
Background: Fort Stevens National Cemetery is the new site of a post cemetery that housed the remains of soldiers and civilians who built river defenses along the Columbia, as well as victims of the "Graveyard of the Pacific", the mouth of the Columbia.
In 1866 the Fort Stevens Quartermaster received authority to construct a cemetery. A serene site in a grove of trees was selected, located on the road to Clatsop Plains, it was established as 165 feet by 104 feet, surrounded by a soldier-built white picket fence. In the fall of 1905, due to main cantonment expansion, the cemetery was moved to a new location on the southern edge of the post.
The War Department in 1912 ordered consolidation of cemeteries with Fort Stevens as the central location for this region. In 1913, fifty burials from Fort Canby were reinterred at Fort Stevens. The Fort Canby burials included Cape Disappointment Lighthouse personnel and family members.
The 1940s had few burials. In December 1949 the cemetery was transferred to the City of Hammond. The Army reacquired it in 1956 and maintained the active cemetery until its transfer to the National Cemetery Administration in 2020. There was a gap of over 20 years without a burial. In 1970, the cemetery became active again with two Vietnam War Soldiers laid to rest that year.
Burial Records
Have transcription data to add?
Add a transcription