Friesland, Columbia County, Wisconsin
GPS: 43.587176, -89.066751
County Rd EF & Central St
Friesland, WI 53935
Published: October 3, 2016
Total records: 1,635
Friesland Cemetery was platted on April 24, 1851 by the Town of Randolph under the name "Randolph Centre Cemetery." In 1910/1911 the village name became Friesland. The Village of Friesland incorporated in 1946 at which time the village accepted ownership of the cemetery. The cemetery may have been called the "Town of Randolph Cemetery" at one time also. Today it is the "Friesland Cemetery."
The following was taken from the book, "Centennial History of the Township of Randolph" 1849-1950 by Paul J. Schreiber...
"The first white death in the Township was a child of James Lowell, which was buried on the farm in Section 13. As there were no cemeteries in those days, the first public cemetery was donated to the public by Job W. Perry and for a great number of years was the only burial grounds in the township. In April 1851 the Randolph Center Cemetery was surveyed (now known as the Village of Friesland.) This cemetery was managed by the Randolph Center Cemetery Association until the name was changed to the Village of Friesland, in 1911. When the Village was incorporated in October 1946 the association was disbanded and the cemetery was taken over by the Village. Most of those buried in other sites were moved to this location."
Thank you to Marcia Dykstra for allowing access to records she made. Typed by Anna Mae Axness, 2006. Some Veteran info from Betty Cook's list. This list has been updated in 2010 from pictures taken by Char Sauer. An "X" in the Lot means there is a burial.
Wisconsin Death Records
- Wisconsin Newspapers, Full Search (1833-1992), 150 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Wisconsin Obituary Search - (1989-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Wisconsin Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com