Coupeville, Island County, Washington
GPS: 48.206557, -122.705661
90 Cemetery Road
Coupeville, WA 98239
by Steve Johnson
Published: May 18, 2016
Total records: 2,949
Sunnyside Cemetery is owned and operated by Island County Cemetery District #2.
Sunnyside Cemetery, a pioneer burying ground, is located on central Whidbey Island, near Coupeville, Washington. Its establishment began with the first burial, Winfield Ebey in 1865, in what was then the Ebey family farm. In 1869, his sister, Mary Ebey Bozarth sold the one and a quarter acre where he was buried to the county for $1.00 to be used as a public burial ground. While there are older grave markers there, such as Rebecca Ebey, 1853, they were actually exhumed and transferred to the cemetery.
The name "Sunnyside" was coined by Winfield Ebey, in reference to his father's, Isaac Ebey, farm. Mary Ebey Bozarth, who had buried Winfield there, had actually named the graveyard "Ebey Graveyard on the Hill". But in 1869, when Mary sold the graveyard to the County, they renamed it, "County Graveyard on the Hill". In 1874, the County sold the graveyard to Dr. John Kellogg, and Kellogg purchased an adjoining lot from Mary, and began a for-profit cemetery business. He renamed it, "Sunnyside Cemetery".
In 1891, Kellogg sold Sunnyside Cemetery to Win Cook. In 1919, after the cemetery had become neglected and overgrown with weeds, the County purchased the cemetery from Cook, and expanded it. In 1922, the County formed a cemetery association to ensure the cemetery would have funds to keep it maintained.
Records published below come from the database of Island County Cemetery District #2, downloaded on May 16, 2016.
Washington Death Records
- Washington Newspapers, Full Search (1854-1984), 109 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Washington Obituary Search - (1985-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Washington Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com