Maple Leaf Cemetery
Oak Harbor, Island County, Washington
GPS: 48.310085, -122.632299
1961 NE 16th Ave
Oak Harbor, WA 98277
by Steve Johnson
Published: June 18, 2016
Total records: 4,358
Maple Leaf Cemetery is owned and operated by Island County Cemetery District One.
Maple Leaf Cemetery was started in 1904 when John Frostad donated ten acres of land. From 1904 to 1930 the cemetery was owned and managed by a group called "The Modern Woodmen of America". Maple Leaf Cemetery was platted and recorded in 1904 by the Moddern Woodmen of America.
The first person buried was a baby, M.C. Weidenbach, who died in 1904. The oldest headstone is 1873 for James B. Scott who was disinterred from another cemetery and reburied in Maple Leaf.
Ownership was transferred to the Maple Leaf Cemetery Association in 1930. In 1931, the First Addition to Maple Leaf Cemetery was platted and recorded. From 1944 to 1956 the group managing the cemetery changed its name to "Prominent Citizens". Island County took over the cemetery in 1956 and then in 1960 established Island County Cemetery District One, which manages the cemetery today.
Records published below come from the database of Island County Cemetery District One, downloaded on June 18, 2016.
Washington Death Records
- Washington Newspapers, Full Search (1854-1984), 109 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Washington Obituary Search - (1985-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Washington Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com