Texas State Cemetery
Austin, Travis County, Texas
|Texas State Cemetery|
GPS: 30.267097, -97.726552
909 Navasota Street
Austin, Texas 78702
Published: May 12, 2016
Total Records: 4,907
Texas State Cemetery is the final resting place of Governors, Senators, Legislators, Congressmen, Judges and other legendary Texans who have made the state what it is today. It's located approximately one mile east of the State Capitol between Navasota and Comal streets and consists of 18 acres. The cemetery is owned by the State of Texas, and is governed by the State Preservation Board.
Texas State Cemetery was established in 1851 at the death of General Edward Burleson. Burleson's efforts in Texas Independence, along with his later tenure as Vice President of the Republic of Texas, Member of the Texas House of Representatives and Senate, and President pro tempore of the Legislature, inspired House member Andrew Jackson Hamilton to convert Burleson's personal property in East Austin into a state burial ground. Burleson was the first person buried at Texas State Cemetery.
The State of Texas took over the cemetery in 1854.
It wasn't until 1953 that the Texas State Legislature adopted guidelines specifying who could obtain a plot. Today, only members or ex-members of the Texas Legislature, Confederate Veterans, elected state officials, state officials appointed by the governor and confirmed by the Legislature, individuals designated by governor's proclamation or concurrent resolution of the Legislature, or the spouses of anyone meeting these criteria.
The following records were obtained from the Texas State Cemetery's database, and is current up to May 4, 2016.
Note: persons with no dates of birth and death are still living.
Texas Death Records
- Texas Newspapers, Full Search (1813-1993), 408 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Texas Obituary Search - (1984-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Texas Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com