New Bayview Cemetery
Corpus Christi, Nueces County, Texas
GPS: 27.805254, -97.412640
Kennedy Ave & John St.
Corpus Christi TX
Published: August 14, 2016
Total records: 760
New Bayview Cemetery is no longer active, and is now maintained by the City of Corpus Christi, Texas, Parks & Recreation Department.
New Bayview Cemetery is located at the corner of Kennedy and Johns St., in the Hillcrest section of Corpus Christi, Texas. The Knights of Pythias Cemetery adjoins this tract on the northwest corner. The county cemetery, which was formerly part of New Bayview, is at the corner of Kennedy and Nueces Streets.
Early maps on file at the Nueces County Courthouse indicate three cemeteries are located here: the New Bayview, the Nueces County, and the Knights of Pythias (Map Record Book A, page 29). In 1897 H.E. and Hattie Luter conveyed 14 acres of land between Crossley School and the bluff north of West Broadway between Kennedy and Peabody streets to the Bayview Cemetery Association (Deed Book 3, pages 525-527). In 1898, the Association sold one acre out of the northwest corner of the original 14-acre tract to the Miramar Lodge 135 of the Knights of Pythias as a lodge cemetery (Deed Book 4, pages 87-89). In 1898, the Association sold to W.B. Hopkins, County Judge of Nueces County, and his successors in office, two acres out of the original 14 acre tract (Deed Book 4, pages 70-71), which, is presumed, is on the end nearest Crossley School.
The New Bayview Cemetery was to be the showcase for the Bayview Cemetery Assocation. Units were sold as family plots with concrete borders around them. Some of the borders are still visible, but many of the tombstones are missing. Many tombstones and bodies were transferred to Rose Hill Cemetery between 1914 and 1929. The Bayview Association recorded burials from 1899 through 1913 in the New Bayview Cemetery record book.
The New Bayview and County Cemeteries are now divided by Williams Park. Only a few tombstones remain in the county section. Apparently, no records were kept by the Bayview Cemetery Association for the County Cemetery.
Most of the Knights of Pythias Cemetery is covered by a housing development. Only a 50 x 60 feet section is left, and only 5 tombstones remain there.
A small "black notebook" owned by Maxwell P. Dunn was recently made available. It contains information that shows New Bayview Cemetery had both a Hispanics and Colored section.
Names of approximately 760 persons who buried in New Bayview Cemetery were able to be identified. The earliest birth date found on a tombstone was 1813, and the earliest death date was 1886; however this person was transferred from Oso Cemetery in 1909. The earliest burial recorded by Bayview Cemetery Association was 1899.
Texas Death Records
- Texas Newspapers, Full Search (1813-1993), 408 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Texas Obituary Search - (1984-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Texas Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com