LaVernia, Guadalupe County, Texas
Lat: 29° 22' 50"N, Lon: 98° 05' 48"W
Contributed by Shirley Grammer, Aug 11, 2001, last edited Oct 29, 2008 [firstname.lastname@example.org]. Total records = 808.
This cemetery is located two miles north of downtown LaVernia on FM 775, Guadalupe County, Texas.
The first burial was Joel Wooten Newton on Jan 16, 1856. James Henry Newton came to the southeastern part of Guadalupe County, Texas 1851-52 from Mississippi. Joel Wooten Newton came ca. 1854. James Henry Newton (brother of Joel) became a prosperous farmer and rancher. At the time of Joel's death, James Henry Newton designated a plot of land on his ranch as a family cemetery. He officially deeded the two-acre tract on Sep 21, 1875 "to the good citizens of the surrounding community for the interment of the deceased".
The Concrete Cemetery Association was established Mar 30, 1955. On Aug 31, 1971, Mrs. Alice Warren Scull, widow of the late Dr. Charles Elam Scull, deeded 3.44 acres to the Concrete Cemetery Association and on Nov 23, 1992, Dr. C.E. Scull, III (grandson of Dr. and Mrs. C.E. Scull) deeded 1.374 acres to the association bringing the total acreage to 6.814 acres.
The cemetery continues to grow. We erected a Texas State Historical Marker in October, 1997. We had an extensive fund raising project in early 1997 to raise funds for restoration of this cemetery. Every marker has been repaired. We applied and received the "Texas State Historic Cemetery Designation" in May, 1999 and have the beautiful historic cemetery medallion erected in the cemetery. We have photographed every monument in our cemetery and have the photographs compiled alphabetically in several volumes with all the information from the stones documented with the photograph. This took several years of work but worth it as we have had two of our old monuments stolen from the cemetery in the last two years, but fortunately, we had pictures. We are also collecting obituaries to attach to each photograph page. Our cemetery was platted in the year 2000. We are in the process of "ridding" our cemetery of metal markers and replacing with permanent small granite gravestones. As of this date, we have purchased 24 markers through our "marker program fund". We are very proud of our cemetery and would like to share this information along with a list of those interred here.
- Shirley Grammer, Historian, Concrete Cemetery
Texas Obituaries and Death Notices