Black, Foard County, Texas
Lat: 34° 03' 20"N, Lon: 99° 46' 03"W
Contributed by Jim Rich, Dec 04, 2011, last edited Dec 12, 2011 [email@example.com]. Total records = 8.
To reach this cemetery, drive west of Crowell on Highway 70 for 2.5 miles, then North on FM 1039 for 4.6 miles. The cemetery is on the west side of the road.
The first person buried in the cemetery at Black was a Chapman baby who died in 1889. The family was traveling through the country, some say in a wagon train. The child became ill, and they camped there for a few days. When the child died, the weather was so severe that J.H. Olds and John Nichols, father of Walter, Claude, and Grover, made a coffin from a plank from the Nichol's barn.
All the graves are marked with native stone. This cemetery has been plowed under and no longer exists. The Black School was also located here.
This account was compiled by Faye Statser from research done by Billy Everson, Mrs. Warren Everson, Leta Jo Haynie, Bill Fish, Mary Fish, John Fish, Clark Hitt, Jo Hitt, and Faye Statser, with technical assistance from myself and completed on Nov 30, 2011.
- Jim Rich
??, Baby, d. 1901, baby from Yamparika Creek
Chapman, Baby, d. 1889
Kincheloe, Twins, d. 1904, Twin girls of Mr.& Mrs. Jim Kincheloe
Mckown, Rolland, d. 1904, s/o Mr & Mrs George McKown
Moore, Baby, d. 1902, baby of Clarence Moore
Newman, Girl, d. 1890, age: 4yr
Nichols, Baby, d. 1901, d/o W.W. Nicols
Nichols, Morine, d. 1915, d/o Mr & Mrs Claude Nichols, twin sister of Irene Nichols
Deaths & Obituaries: Newspapers 1690-Present