Killeen City Cemetery
Killeen, Bell County, Texas
|Killeen City Cemetery|
GPS: 31.118460, -97.705190
2800 E Rancier Ave
Killeen, TX 76543
Published: July 18, 2016
Total records: 9,577
Killeen City Cemetery is owned and maintained by the City of Killeen.
Killeen City Cemetery had a long history of use before the City of Killeen assumed its care. It began in 1856 as a family cemetery on the Fleming family farm settled by William Washington, Elizabeth Putnam Fleming their five children, along with two other of William's siblings and their families. The first interment was J. W. Fleming in May 1856. Other Fleming family interments were made in 1858, 1859 and in 1867. In 1867, the Fleming family began allowing the interment of other settlers from the community on their land thus beginning a community cemetery.
In 1899, a handbill about a United Thanksgiving celebration listed the meal being provided by the cemetery association. An early picture from around 1900 showed the cemetery as an overgrown area of tombstones about five miles out in the country. The grounds were originally laid out with a circular drive in the Old Section B, which is where the first burials occurred. This drive was abandoned and the area used for burials, which accounts for the irregular rows currently in the old sections of the cemetery.
In June 1942 with the construction of Camp Hood (Fort Hood), there were 768 bodies disinterred from 15 cemeteries (Maple, Altum Ranch, Brown's Creek, Bundrant Ranch, Clem, Liverett, New Graham, Old Graham, Norman, Potter, Salem, Shiloh, Sugar Loaf, Warden Place & Young Ranch) and reinterred at the cemetery.
The City of Killeen took over the cemetery in 1950.
Records published here were acquired from the City of Killeen on July 18, 2016, which includes interments up to March 16, 2015.
Texas Death Records
- Texas Newspapers, Full Search (1813-1993), 408 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Texas Obituary Search - (1984-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Texas Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com