Home > United States > Pennsylvania > Allegheny County > St. Mary Cemetery

St. Mary Cemetery
Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania

christ our redeemer catholic cemetery
St. Mary Cemetery

GPS: 40.4670, -79.9504

Penn Ave & 45th St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15201

Published: January 2, 2017
Total records: 47,890

St. Mary Cemetery is owned and operated by The Catholic Cemeteries Association of the Diocese of Pittsburgh.

History

St. Mary Cemetery is located adjacent to Allegheny Cemetery.

St. Mary Cemetery was incorporated in 1849, about six years after the founding of the diocese. At the time, there were two parish cemeteries in existence, one near the first St. Patrick's Church, which stood where the Pennsylvania Railroad Union Station was eventually built; and St. Paul's Church at Grant Street and Fifth Avenue, which established a parish cemetery on Boyd's Hill, near Mercy Hospital. These two existing cemeteries became so overcrowded that the diocese sought a new cemetery.

The present St. Mary Cemetery was purchased in 1849 at a cost of $20,000. Bodies interred in the Boyd's Hill parish cemetery and St. Patrick parish cemetery were transferred to St. Mary Cemetery. Today, St. Mary Cemetery is a 44-acre tract of land immediately adjacent to the new Childrens Hospital. All records from this cemetery are now housed at Calvary Cemetery, Pittsburgh, and all administrative functions take place at the Calvary Office as well.

Cemetery Records

Records published here were acquired from The Catholic Cemeteries Association of the Diocese of Pittsburgh on January 1, 2017. Dates of death range from 1754 to 2016.


Surname Index

Pennsylvania Obituaries and Death Notices

cemetery records

A free online library of cemetery records from thousands of cemeteries across the world, for historical and genealogy research.

Clear Digital Media, Inc.

follow us

Visit Our Sister Websites