Green Hill Cemetery
Murray County, Oklahoma
Lat: 34° 29' 53"N, Lon: 97° 07' 46"W
Contributed by Dennis Muncrief, Jan 23, 2002, last edited Mar 27, 2005 [email@example.com]. Total records = 3,900.
Davis, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory was established in 1886 when the Santa Fe Railroad build a line from Gainesville, TX to Oklahoma City. There was a siding and depot built at that time and a store owner by the name of Sam Davis was hired to be the first depot agent.
The land surrounding the depot was owned by a Chickasaw Indian named Nelson Chigley. Chigley had the railroad survey off a town in the middle of his ranch around the new siding and depot. This was a cattle and cotton shipping center and a receiving point for much new mercantile products for the area. In 1890 a post office was established and the name was chosen as Davis in honor of Sam Davis the first Depot agent and the first merchant of the new town.
Green Hill Cemetery is owned, maintained and supervised by the city of Davis. The cemetery is well kept by a full time cemetery maintenance crew and has a full time sexton. The cemetery is current in use and has many new burials each month.
The city has no plans to change locations of the cemetery. The cemetery has been in use by the city for well over 100 years. There is evidence that it was a burial ground for the early Indian inhabitants before the white man ever sat foot in the area.
An asterisk * has been placed following an entry which the information came from a family member and there is no marker. Two asterisks ** have been placed after a family who was killed by a tornado in 1916. They also have no individual headstones, there is one common grave with a single monument.
Registry is complete through 2000, with occasional additions.- Dennis Muncrief
Oklahoma Death Records
- Oklahoma Newspapers, Full Search (1845-1923), 68 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Oklahoma Obituary Search - (1981-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Oklahoma Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com