Mound Hill Cemetery
Eaton, Preble County, Ohio
|Mound Hill Cemetery|
GPS: 39.742977, -84.647080
533 West Main Street
Eaton OH 45320
Published: January 5, 2017
Total records: 5,400
Mound Hill Cemetery is owned and maintained by the City of Eaton.
Mound Hill Cemetery was established in 1806 as a 4 acre lot donated by William Bruce, the founder of Eaton, OH. The cemetery was originally named, "Eaton Cemetery".
The first known burial was that of a young girl who succumbed to whooping cough in September, 1806.
Mound Hill Cemetery was named for the prehistoric Indian mound located on the grounds. The mound now holds the remains of 15 soldiers of General Anthony Wayne's army, killed in an Indian attack on October 17, 1793. The remains were moved from burial sites at nearby Fort St. Clair and re-interred in the mound on October 1847. At that time, the cemetery was renamed to "Mound Hill Cemetery".
In 1907, 33 acres of ground was purchased just south of West Main Street on Camden Road, across from Fort St. Clair Park. The "new cemetery" was opened in 1928.
Mound Hill Cemetery was originally administered by Washington Township Trustees until 1961, when it was annexed by the city of Eaton. Mound Hill then became a "union" cemetery, funded jointly by the township and the city and operated as a public owned entity. In 2010, Washington Township removed itself completely from any cemetery operations, turning all property and control over to the City of Eaton.
Records published here were acquired from the City of Eaton on January 5, 2017. Dates of burial range from 1792 to 2016.
Pennsylvania Death Records
- Pennsylvania Newspapers, Full Search (1719-1996), 557 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Pennsylvania Obituary Search - (1981-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Pennsylvania Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com