Licking County Infirmary Cemetery
Granville, Licking County, Ohio
|Licking County Infirmary|
GPS: 40.020974, -82.522225
Union Station Rd
Granville, OH 43023
Published: August 15, 2016
Total records: 246
Licking County Infirmary Cemetery is now a part of Infirmary Mound Park, under the jurisdiction of Licking Park District.
The cemetery was part of the Licking County Infirmary. The Infirmary housed persons who were impoverished, homeless or otherwise in great need. It was established under the authority of the County Commissioners in 1838. Until 1850 it was officially called the Poor House, and from 1919 onwards it was called the County Home. The original institution was located near the present-day community of Union Station.
Those interred at the cemetery were those whose bodies were not claimed by friends and family. Approximately 260 persons were buried in the Infirmary Cemetery. In addition to deceased Infirmary inmates, the Infirmary Cemetery contains unidentified bodies that were found at various locations in the county.
The Infirmary Cemetery has been known by many names including "farm plot burials," "County Home Cemetery" and "Infirmary burial ground." Most of its known graves from ca. 1904 to 1955 were marked with stones that only showed identification numbers. There do not seem to be headstones remaining for inmate burials before 1904. Most of the bodies of inmates who died before 1904 might have been taken to private cemeteries or another "potters field." The last known burial in the Infirmary Cemetery was in 1955.
The document linked below was obtained from the Licking County Records & Archives...
County Infirmary Cemetery, Burial Index, 1838-1960 (8 pages,
Ohio Death Records
- Ohio Newspapers, Full Search (1795-1991), 416 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Ohio Obituary Search - (1985-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Ohio Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com