Mentor, Lake County, Ohio
GPS: 41.682423, -81.315894
6881 Hopkins Rd
Jackson St. & Hopkins Rd
Mentor OH, 44060
Published: January 9, 2017
Total records: 14,675
Mentor Cemetery is owned and maintained by the City of Mentor.
Mentor Cemetery was established in 1854 as a cemetery association, purchasing 10 acres of land in the Jackson lot, and lying on the road from Amasa Cobb's corners to David Hopkins' corners for the price of $400.00. Amasa Cobb, who died on March 16, 1855, was the first to be buried here.
Prior to the cemetery, residents buried their dead on a property that had been deeded to the schools at Mentor Avenue and Center Street. In 1858 and 1859, William S. Kerr, the Treasurer of the Village School Board, was instructed to pay residents for lots they owned on this property. The plan was to move the burying grounds to the new Mentor Cemetery, which allowed the School Board to build a two-story brick schoolhouse on the site of the former burying grounds.
In 1876, in a peach orchard just south of the cemetery a new Special District School was built. It operated until 1937 and later served as the first Mentor Police Station. After the building was removed, the property became part of the Mentor Cemetery.
Mentor Cemetery today sits at 60 acres.
Records published here were acquired from the City of Mentor on January 9, 2017. Dates of death range from 1832 to 2016.
Ohio Obituaries and Death Notices