Search New York Death Records
- New York Newspapers, Full Search (1730-1998), 873 titles
- New York Obituary Search - (1986-current)
- New York Funeral Notices
Old Stone Fort Cemetery
Schoharie, Schoharie County, New York
Old Stone Fort, Schoharie, NY
GPS: 42.67695, -74.30156
145 Fort Rd
Schoharie, NY 12157
Published: December 19, 2020
Total records: 675 (approx)
Old Stone Fort Cemetery is owned and operated by the County of Schoharie. The Old Stone Fort building and museum is owned by Schoharie County Historical Society.
The Old Stone Fort was originally built in 1772 as a High Dutch (German) Reformed church. In 1777, after the Revolutionary War broke out, a log stockade was built around the church transforming it into a fortification.
On Oct. 17, 1780, a force of about 800 loyalists and Indians under Col. Sir John Johnson and Mohawk Capt. Joseph Brant raided the valley and briefly attacked the fort before proceeding north toward the Mohawk Valley. A cannonball hole may still be seen in a cornice at the rear of the building.
The stockade was removed in 1785 and the building continued serving as a church until 1844 when the congregation split and built the present Reformed Churches in the village of Schoharie and in Gallupville. In 1857, the building was sold to New York State. Through the Civil War and until 1873 it was used as a militia/National Guard armory. It eventually transferred to Schoharie County for preservation. In 1889, the Schoharie County Historical Society was chartered to operate a museum at the old fort.
Burials began taking place surrounding the church building, and thereafter began spreading further into adjacent cemetery property.
The document linked below was compiled in 1916 by Frank D. Andrews from actual tombstone inscriptions...
- Burials in the Old Stone Fort Cemetery, (1.47 MB)