Search New York Death Records
- New York Newspapers, Full Search (1730-1998), 873 titles
- New York Obituary Search - (1986-current)
- New York Funeral Notices
Hempstead, Nassau County, New York
GPS: 40.7093910, -73.6220020
353 Fulton Ave
Hempstead, NY 11550
Published: December 26, 2020
Total records: 542
New Cemetery no longer exists. Today, it lies beneath the parking lot behind Christ's First Presbyterian Church at the corner of Fulton Ave & Washington St.
New Cemetery represented the fourth and final extension of Old Town Cemetery.
According to John Dean Fish, former Hempstead Village historian, in 1923, who published a transcription of burials of Old Town Cemetery, writes...
"The fourth and final extension was made on the Easterly side in the year 1847, when Benjamin Rushmore, owner of the adjoining land, prepared a map of one hundred and forty-four plots which were rapidly sold to Hempstead families. This was called "The New Cemetery of Benjamin Rushmore in the, Village of Hempstead." Still further East, fronting on Fulton Avenue, was the newly located Manse of the Presbyterian Church. In 1922, the grave-stones in the Rushmore section were also buried beneath the sod, by the Village authorities, forming an addition to Fulton Field."
Josephine C. Frost Transcription
In 1904, Josephine C. Frost visited New Cemetery and made a record of every tombstone that was still visible and readable. Frost did not know the name of this cemetery and simply described it as, "A private burying ground east of the park on Fulton St.
and next to the residence of the Presbyterian minister". She produced a transcription entitled, "Cemetery Inscriptions from Hempstead Long Island New York" consisting of transcriptions from four cemeteries, including this one.
The document linked below are pages from that transcription, of just New Cemetery...