Search New York Death Records
- New York Newspapers, Full Search (1730-1998), 873 titles
- New York Obituary Search - (1986-current)
- New York Funeral Notices
Middletown Civil War Soldiers
Delaware County, New York
Published: February 28, 2020
Total records: 242
|Compiled by:||Historical Society of Middletown|
|Frank S. Coleman|
Many from Middletown volunteered to serve in the Civil War as members of the Wallkill Guards, the Tenth Legion, and the Orange Blossoms, among others. The town sent over 900 men, with 110 dying on the battlefield. 20 of the men who hailed from Middletown were black. Three Middletown Civil War Veterans received the Congressional Medal of Honor and are buried in Hillside Cemetery, these being Sgt. Thomas D. Collins, Pvt. Nathan M. Hallock, and Capt. Lewis S. Wisner.
Historical Society of Middletown Records
The Historical Society of Middletown poured through many documents along with online databases to build a comprehensive list of the town's Civil War soldiers. This list was put together into a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, and then published on the Society's website. The Society has photos of these men on their website (click here).
Interment.net converted the spreadsheet into PDF format to accommodate persons without Microsoft Excel...
- Middletown Civil War Soldiers, Historical Society of Middletown, (178 KB)
- Sources, Historical Society of Middletown, (63 KB)
Research of Frank S. Coleman
Frank S. Coleman had published some material about Civil War soldiers who were laid to rest at Hillside Cemetery in Middletown. He had published this on his own personal website, but that website had since been taken offline. We disovered his material in Archives.org, and converted it to PDF files so that it continues to serve genealogists, local historians, and Civil War enthusiasts...
- A Small Community Goes to War, Civil War History of Middletown, NY, Frank S. Coleman, (209 KB)
- Civil War Era Veterans, Hillside Cemetery, Middletown, NY, Frank S. Coleman, (301 KB)