Cuba Cemetery - Burial Records
Cuba, Allegany County, New York
GPS: 42.221805, -78.269698
Cuba, NY 14727
Date published: October 31, 2016
Total records: 5,886
In 1841, residents of Cuba urged local officials to form a common burial ground. A public meeting was held, resulting in the formation of the Cuba Cemetery Association and appointment of a committee to identify and acquire a site. A few days later, the committee reported that Mr. Lewis Nash was willing to sell a two-acre plot behind his house for $300. After reaching an agreement with Mr. Nash to purchase his land, the trustees began organizing the laying out of burial plots and roads, and interments in the new cemetery soon began.
In 1855, a Roman Catholic cemetery was consecrated in Cuba, on a half acre of land immediately to the east of the existing Cuba Cemetery. It was important for the Catholic community to have its own cemetery because of devout Catholics' need to be buried in consecrated ground. By 1898, the Catholic cemetery had expanded to the south, into roughly a trapezoidal shape. In 1923, Cuba Cemetery and the adjacent Catholic cemetery merged. Today the two are fully integrated, with no fence or border distinguishing between the two.
Additional land was purchased in 1854, 1869, 1898, 1899, 1957, and 1981, bringing the cemetery to its present size of 11.9 acres, including the Catholic cemetery added in 1923.
Records published here were acquired from the Town of Cuba on October 31, 2016.
New York Death Records
- New York Newspapers, Full Search (1730-1998), 873 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- New York Obituary Search - (1986-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- New York Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com