Home > United States > Nebraska > Douglas COunty > Forest Lawn Memorial Park

Forest Lawn Memorial Park - Burial Records
Omaha, Douglas County, Nebraska

forest lawn memorial park
Forest Lawn Memorial Park

GPS: 41.330898, -95.992788

7909 Mormon Bridge Rd
Omaha, NE 68152

Date published: September 29, 2017
Total records: 82,056

Forest Lawn Memorial Park is owned and operated by Forest Lawn Cemetery Association as a non-profit organization.

History

Forest Lawn Memorial Park was established on August 13, 1885 as Forest Lawn Cemetery Association. It originally consisted of 100 acres donated by John H. Bracken. Ironically, the first burial on September 1, 1886, was that of John H. Bracken who died soon after the initial purchase. His body was transferred from Prospect Hill Cemetery.

The G.A.R., the Freemasons, and the Omaha Typographical Union owned parts of Forest Lawn Cemetery. Part of its land was made into a national soldiers’ cemetery. Income from the land, as it is sold, continues to be used for protecting, preserving, and embellishing the cemetery.

Before Forest Lawn was founded, the northwest corner of the property was used as a Potter's Field for poor people and people whose identities were not known. It was used from at least the 1880s through the 1960s.

Soon after Forest Lawn was opened, Omaha's pioneer burying place, Prospect Hill Cemetery, stopped being used. Shortly thereafter Prospect Hill's owner, Byron Reed, sold it to Forest Lawn in the 1890s. That Cemetery soon fell into disrepair, and was only redeemed in the 1980s.

Today, Forest Lawn Memorial Park measures 320 acres in size.

Cemetery Records

Records published here were acquired from Forest Lawn Memorial Park on September 28, 2017. Dates of burial range from 1857 (Baby Ewing) to 2017.

Surname Index:

Nebraska Death Records

cemetery records

A free online library of cemetery records from thousands of cemeteries across the world, for historical and genealogy research.

Clear Digital Media, Inc.

follow us

Visit Our Sister Websites