|Photo by City of Salisbury, NC|
Salisbury National Cemetery
Salisbury, Rowan County, North Carolina
|202 Government Road
Salisbury, NC 28144
Total records = 6,396
While this is an active national cemetery, it is the resting place of some 11,700 union soldiers who died at Salisbury Prison during the Civil War. The picture you see to the right is the monument to these soldiers, and fixed to it is inscribed the following:
"In 18 trenches, just south of this spot, rest the bodies of 11,700 soldiers of the United States Army, who perished during the years 1864 and 1865 while held by the Confederate Military authorities as prisoners of war in a stockade near this place"
U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs Database
Records of burials were provided to this website by the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs, on July 2, 2000. This is not a complete list of burials, only those that are on file with the VA. These records include civil war burials and recent burials.
- The Confederate Prison and National Cemetery - GoRowan.com
- Salisbury Confederate Prison - City of Salisbury
North Carolina Death Records
- North Carolina Newspapers, Full Search (1775-1993), 203 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- North Carolina Obituary Search, (1988-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- North Carolina Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com