Dunn, Harnett County, North Carolina
GPS: 35.303594, -78.621006
908 S McKay Ave
Dunn, NC 28334
Published: January 20, 2017
Total records: 5,068
Greenwood Cemetery is owned and maintained by the City of Dunn.
Greenwood Cemetery is one of Dunn's oldest cemeteries. It was established on June 25, 1888, when two people died, William F. Jones, age 32, son of D. and M. M. Jones, and Ralph Jerome Jones, age 14 months, son of D. A. and V. A. Jones. The town of Dunn had no municipal cemetery and therefore sought a location to bury these two. They approached Henry Pope and his wife Eliza Pope, who lived about a mile from what was then the town limits, and was near the site of the old Greenwood School House.
The Popes agreed to bury these two on their property, and laid them with their heads and feet pointing directly east and west.
Town officials eventually negotiated terms with the Popes to purchase the land these bodies were buried in, and on September 14, 1888 a deed was signed to sell 5,058 square yards of land (centered directly on the circle of the cemetery where the gazebo lies today), for the sum of $50.00. The circle is said to be the exact location of the old Greenwood School House.
Because the two original bodies were laid to rest exactly east and west, other bodies were laid parallel to them, exactly the same way. By contrast, the streets in the town of Dunn were laid in accordance to the railroad tracks. This explains why the streets within the cemetery do not conform to the streets of the town.
Records published here were acquired from the City of Dunn, NC on January 20, 2017. Dates of death range from 1858 to 2016.
- Surnames A-C
- Surnames D-H
- Surnames I-L
- Surnames M-R
- Surnames S-Z
- Unidentified Burials
- Greenwood Cemetery Map
North Carolina Death Records
- North Carolina Newspapers, Full Search (1775-1993), 203 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- North Carolina Obituary Search, (1988-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- North Carolina Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com