Harugari Cemetery - Burial Records
Manchester, St. Louis County, Missouri
GPS: 38.589950, -90.512001
Old Meramec Station Rd
Manchester, MO 63021
Date published: January 6, 2018
Total records: 21
The Harugari Cemetery reflects a strong German heritage in Manchester. The Order of Harugari originated in New York in 1847 and was established to preserve German culture & language. Harugari Lodge #342 acquired the land for the cemetery from Henry & Anna Seibel in 1877. The group promoted German language singing. Saenger Hall was built at the corner of Manchester and Henry Rd in 1881 for this purpose. The first in St Louis, County. It burned down in 1908 and the men's choir was discontinued.
The cemetery had fell into disrepair and for many years was uncared for. The City of Manchester began taking care of the cemetery even though it didn't own the land. In 1997, the city built a brick walk leading from the street to brick gate posts, which support a wrought iron arch that reads "Harugari Cemetery." The city also installed a pair of old-fashioned cast iron lampposts on either side of the walk by the entrance. In 2012, the city began the process of seizing ownership, and by 2016 became owner.
Documents linked below are available to downloading...
- Harugari Cemetery, tombstone inscriptions, USGenWeb Archives, April 10, 2010
Missouri Death Records
- Missouri Newspapers, Full Search (1808-1949), 140 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Missouri Obituary Search, (1988-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Missouri Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com