Search Michigan Death Records
- Michigan Newspapers, Full Search (1817-1995), 212 titles
- Michigan Obituary Search, (1995-current)
- Michigan Funeral Notices
Pentwater Township Cemetery Records
Pentwater, Oceana County, Michigan
Pentwater Township Cemetery, Pentwater, MI
GPS: 43.79186, -86.42796
8060 US-31 BUS
Pentwater, MI 49449
Published: February 15, 2020
Total records: 2,534
Pentwater Township Cemetery is owned by the Township of Pentwater.
The Pentwater Township Cemetery was founded in November 1860 when Jacob Brillhart’s young son died. He instructed John Bean Jr., Henry Flagg and Timothy Barber to select a block of land for a cemetery, outside the Village limits at the time, with the promise to deed the land to the town. His son, Willie, was the first burial at the cemetery, which is the block in the Village bounded by 1st, 2nd, Rush, and Rutledge Streets currently occupied by the First Baptist Church.
This location served as the Township Cemetery until 1870, when 40 acres of land was purchased for $5 per acre from the Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad for a new cemetery. In the fall of that year the southwest portion of the parcel was laid out for burials and use of the original cemetery was discontinued. By 1879 many of the remains had been moved by families to the present cemetery site. The Township then received permission from the State to move the remaining bodies to the new site.
In December of 1879, E.H. Hutson was contracted to move the last 70 bodies to the new cemetery for a fee of $194 upon completion. These 70 bodies were moved to the northwest corner of Block 2 in the cemetery. At some unknown time the eastern portion of the original 40 acre parcel set aside for the Township Cemetery was sold. The present cemetery contains some 20 acres of land.
Pentwater Township Records
Records linked below were acquired from the Township of Pentwater on February 15, 2020. Dates of death range from 1843 to 2019...
- Pentwater Township Cemetery Map, (808 KB)