Home > United States > Michigan > Oakland County > Great Lakes National Cemetery

Great Lakes National Cemetery
Holly, Oakland County, Michigan

great lakes national cemetery
Great Lakes National Cemetery

GPS: 42.857829, -83.621513

4200 Belford Road
Holly, MI 48442

Published: August 18, 2016
Total records: 28,935

Great Lakes National Cemetery is administered by the US Department of Veterans Affairs.

History

Great Lakes National Cemetery is the second national cemetery built in Michigan and the 122nd in the national cemetery system.

Great Lakes National Cemetery is located approximately 50 miles northwest of downtown Detroit, in Holly Township, Oakland County. The cemetery borders Fagan Lake, and is located on a portion of a land grant from the Federal Government to Terrance Fagan in 1836. Historically, the property served as farmland until it was acquired by the National Cemetery Administration in 2002.

In the 20th century, the property was purchased by Bryson Dexter Horton, a Spanish-American War veteran-turned-industrialist who invented the "Square D" switch. Horton's invention dramatically improved electrical safety, by encasing the switch in steel and protecting users from the live electrical current. Mr. Horton constructed a small house on the property in 1927, and reportedly entertained such preeminent locals as Henry and Edsel Ford, who both hunted and fished there.

Great Lakes National Cemetery was established in 2005, and the first burial took place on October 17 of that year.

Cemetery Records

Records published here were acquired from the US Department of Veterans Affairs. They include dates of death up through March 23, 2016.


Surname Index:

Michigan Death Records

cemetery records

A free online library of cemetery records from thousands of cemeteries across the world, for historical and genealogy research.

Clear Digital Media, Inc.

follow us

Visit Our Sister Websites