Holy Cross Cemetery
Alpena, Alpena County, Michigan
|Holy Cross Cemetery|
GPS: 45.061271, -83.464731
1300 W. Washington Ave.
Alpena, MI 49707
Date published: February 11, 2017
Total records: 15,000 (approx)
Holy Cross Cemetery consists of twelve acres, and was purchased for six hundred dollars in Nov., 1886, and was solemnly blessed by the Rt. Rev. H. J. Richter, Bishop of Grand Rapids, on August 1st, 1887. Previously, it was simply called, "Catholic Cemetery". But on Aug 5, 1921 the name was changed to Holy Cross Cemetery.
There was another Catholic cemetery that predated Holy Cross. It consisted of two acres, wand as situated on 11th Street, where the City Pound now stands, and was purchased from George N. Fletcher in June, 1867 for the sum of two hundred dollars. This cemetery operated from about 1859 to 1887. Bodies were moved to the newer cemetery in 1887.
Records were kept of lot purchasers from 1887; however, it wasn't until 1922 that records were kept by the sexton of burials. Information about older burials were reconstructed by the sexton from a variety of sources.
The PDF document linked below was compiled and edited by
Michigan Obituaries and Death Notices
- Michigan Obituary Records, 1690-Today - GenealogyBank.com
- Find Michigan Death Records in Newspapers, 1690-Today - GenealogyBank.com
- Michigan Newspaper Funeral Notices, 1690-Today - GenealogyBank.com