Green Cemetery - Burial Records
Carlisle, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
GPS: 42.524842, -71.342732
Carlisle, MA 01741
Date published: October 16, 2017
Total records: 2,594
Green Cemetery was established in 1784, originally named, "Green Burial Ground", named after John Green who set apart a half acre parcel about a half mile southeast of the town center, on the main road to Bedford. The parcel was intended for Green family burials, but time to time, permission was given to others to make interments here.
This is not the same cemetery known as, "Central Burying Ground", which is located in the center of town, along Lowell St.
In the fall of the year 1831 a committee of three persons, consisting of Mr. Silas Green, Mr. Thomas Heald, and Deacon John Green, were chosen by the town to purchase a piece of land for the purpose of enlarging Green Burial Ground. It was not until the April meeting in the year 1837 that the town "voted to pay Mr. Leonard Green the sum of twenty-five dollars for half an acre of land to enlarge Green Burial Ground, and cause the same to be enclosed bv a fence."
In the year 1863 the town purchased from Capt. Thomas Green one acre of land as an addition to the Green Burying Ground, which addition increased its area to two acres.
Sometime during the 1860s and 1870s, Green Burial Ground was being referred to as, "Green Cemetery".
- Green Cemetery Map, (PDF)
Records published below were acquired from the Town of Carlisle, MA on October 16, 2017. They were compiled from an Eagle Scout Project of Jacob Golson, BSA Troop 135, Carlisle, Massachusetts, April 2015.
Massachusetts Death Records
- Massachusetts Newspapers, Full Search (1690-1992), 622 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Massachusetts Obituary Search, (1988-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Massachusetts Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com