Mulvane, Sumner County, Kansas
Lat: 37° 28' 21"N, Lon: 97° 12' 25"W
Gore Twp, T30N R2E NW� NW� Sec 3
Contributed by Della M Shafer, Aug 21, 2008, last edited Jun 30, 2011 [email@example.com]. Total records = 3,073.
To reach cemetery from Mulvane, drive east on Main Street for 1.5 miles, turn right onto Greenwich Road. The cemetery will be on your right or west side of the road.
The original cemetery measured 664' x 742'. The Plat was filed Dec. 8, 1886. The oldest legible marker is dated 1879. The first cemetery association was composed of Adam Huffbauer, Erasmus Shull, M D Canady, 11 acres were purchased from Oscar Potter. Early in 1957, the Mulvane Cemetery and the Littleton Cemetery were made into a district to be funded by a Township Mill Levy. This district became known as the Mulvane-Littleton Cemetery Association. Feb 16, 1957, five directors were elected: G C Hooten, Pres; Geo Bradfield, Vice-pres; Jessie Long, Sec; and Margaret Conklin. At that time the Township Board granted them $495.07; that was the balance in the cemetery fund at that time. A water well was soon put down, and with capable caretakers the area has always been beautifully kept. In May, 1962, 11 acres more were bought from Louie and Minnie Braddy. - From Cemeteries in Sumner County by Harvey and Ruth Swan, 1983
As we transcribed this cemetery, we referred to some old ownership and burial records located in the Mulvane Public Library and to burial records on site at the cemetery to aid in locating lot numbers for the stones and in some cases filling in additional dates, burials and other information. We understand that the burial records up to sometime in the 1930s were destroyed by fire.
Melvin Shafer and I walked and recorded this cemetery from April to December of 2005. A map of the cemetery can be seen here.
- Della M Shafer
Kansas Death Records
- Kansas Newspapers, Full Search (1841-1981), 152 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Kansas Obituary Search, (1984-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Kansas Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com