Terre Haute, Vigo County, Indiana
GPS: 39.480641, -87.415477
1230 North Third Street
Terre Haute, IN 47807
Published: July 31, 2016
Total records: 11
Woodlawn Cemetery is owned and managed by the City of Terre Haute.
Woodlawn Cemetery is the oldest extant cemetery in Terre Haute, Indiana. After its establishment in 1839, families began removing remains from other local cemeteries to be re-interred in Woodlawn. In the years following its opening, the cemetery donated land for the establishment of Catholic and Jewish cemeteries. Several mayors of Terre Haute, along with other local notables, are buried in Woodlawn Cemetery.
The Confederate Monument is located at the intersection of Central and Wabash Avenues within Woodlawn Cemetery. Erected in 1912, the 11' tall granite monument commemorates 11 Confederate prisoners of war who died in a local prison and are interred in Woodlawn. The names of the Confederates are inscribed in bronze tablets attached to the monument. Ten of the 11 soldiers were members of Gantt's 9th battalion, Tennessee Cavalry.
Indiana Death Records
- Indiana Newspapers, Full Search (1804-1992), 150 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Indiana Obituary Search, (1988-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Indiana Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com