Rev. David Choate Procter, an ordained home missionary of 1821 stopped
in Mt. Carmel and learned of two Presbyterian families and visited
them on Friday. On the Sabbath, March 3, 1822 a large congregation
convened at the school house to hear Rev. Procter preach.
Writing east for minister the Wabash congregation was informed the
ideal man to be their pastor was one of their own members. Mr. Bliss
was trained in his native New England, and was ordained by Salem Presbytery.
In 1820, he ventured back to New Hampshire, where he married the
daughter of Rev. Dr. Noah Worchester, the couple then moved to Oreo
Wabash County to make their new home.
On July 6, 1833 Adam Shephard of New Hampshire settled on land joining
the Bliss farm. A few years later Shephard and his wife gave two acres,
one road, 39 rod and three years of land to be used for building sight
On May 21, 1837 Mrs. Bliss wife of Rev. Bliss died and was buried
on the ground given by Adam Shephard. This then determined the site
for the future church and cemetery.
Adam Corrie from Scotland offered $125.00 toward the building and
so a neat plain building was erected among the trees in fall of 1838.
Rev Bliss was pastor from 1822 till his death on December6, 1847.
He was buried by his wife in Oreo Cemetery. This cemetery also became
the burial place for Adam Shepard and his wife Eliza Shepard.
The Wabash Cemetery Association was founded in 1920 by a group of
ladies in community who saw a need for an organization to provide
funds, where by the cemetery could be maintained. After much discussion,
they decided to hold a chowder each year. The proceeds from the Community
Oreo Chowder have constantly been used for the beautification of the
cemetery. The Oreo Church and Cemetery is one of the oldest in the
county and is one of the beautiful sights in the community.