Cordova, Rock Island County, Illinois
GPS: 41.676504, -90.313400
157th Avenue North
1/4 mile east of Illinois State Route # 84, on 157th Avenue North, Cordova, IL.
Cordova Cemetery Association was incorporated in February of 1855 after the purchase of a five acre plot of land east of the town of Cordova. In January 1939 a proposal was made to turn over the assets of the Cemetery association to Cordova Township. This was done with the understanding that the township would provide for the maintenance and expansion when necessary. In 1941, seven acres was acquired from the James Durbin estate making the cemetery about twelve acres as it remains today.
The oldest grave recorded on a headstone is 1845. Since the records prior to 1881 were lost, the earliest recorded sale of a lot is 1880. In 1990, a tornado ripped a path through the cemetery and the east end of Cordova along the highway before traveling up River Road. The twister damaged the ornate cemetery sign estimated to be at least 100 years old, crumbled many monuments and knocked over many trees. Monuments were repaired and new trees were planted.
Contributed by Vernon C. Hazlett, Apr 11, 2001 [email@example.com].
Total records = 1,825
This record is compiled from the many records of the Cordova Cemetery. Minutes of all meetings of record. Review of all deeds issued. Reading of the Cemetery by : Blackhawk Genealogical Society 1975 Reading of the Cemetery by : Perry & Ester Seevers 1976 Continuous Updates by: Margaret L. Hazlett - Caretaker for 25 years. Prepared by: Vernon C. Hazlett - Cordova, Illinois - Phone: (309) 654-2555
Plot info reads: Section-Block-Lot-Grave
Illinois Death Records
- Illinois Newspapers, Full Search (1818-2016), 458 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- Illinois Obituary Search, (1985-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- Illinois Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com