Search Iowa Death Records
- Iowa Newspapers, Full Search (1837-1976), 99 titles
- Iowa Obituary Search, (1992-current)
- Iowa Funeral Notices
West Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa
Jordan Cemetery, West Des Moines, IA
GPS: 41.558764, -93.746123
2950 Fuller Rd.
West Des Moines, IA 50265
Published: January 7, 2020
Total records: 2,583
Jordan Cemetery is owned and operated by the City of West Des Moines, IA.
Jordan Cemetery was founded by James C. Jordan who arrived in Polk County in 1846 and homesteaded in the area of the cemetery. Initially the cemetery may have been planned as a family burial area or for burials of members of pioneer families who died on their way westward.
Grave markers in the cemetery indicate that one of the first burials occurred in 1855 when Melinda Jordan, James C. Jordan's first wife, died.
Records show that Mr. Jordan deeded the cemetery land to a cemetery association to administer. In 1920 the association voted to ask Valley Junction, as West Des Moines then was called, to help maintain the cemetery. Today the City of West Des Moines Parks and Recreation Department maintains the grounds. Monuments in the cemetery contain the names of some of the West Des Moines area's earliest and most prominent residents.
Records below were acquired from the City of West Jordan on January 7, 2020. Dates of death range from 1838 to 2019.