Search Georgia Death Records
- Georgia Newspapers, Full Search (1763-2003), 162 titles
- Georgia Obituary Search, (1985-current)
- Georgia Funeral Notices
Columbus, Muscogee County, Georgia
GPS: 32.477550, -84.983147
621 Linwood Blvd
Columbus, GA 31901
Published: June 26, 2016
Total records: 4,568
Linwood Cemetery is owned and operated by the City of Columbus, GA.
Linwood Cemetery was established March 26, 1828, when Edward Lloyd Thomas, a surveyor sent by the Georgia General Assembly to survey land for what would eventually become the City of Columbus, buried his dead son. Once the city was founded, the cemetery took on the name, "City Cemetery".
As early as 1829, the new residents of Columbus began burying their dead at City Cemetery simply by picking out a plot of land and digging a hole. There were no sale of plots or recorded burials. It wasn't until 1845 that the city took over sale of plots and began recording sales. A consistent record of burials didn't start until 1866.
The name used today came about in 1894, when the neighborhood surrounding the cemetery took on the name, "Linwood" after the popular novel, "Ernest Linwood"by Caroline Lee Hentz who had spent a brief time in Columbus.
Records published here were acquired from the City of Columbus, Cemetery Division.