Sacramento County Cemetery
Sacramento, Sacramento County, California
|Sacramento County Cemetery|
GPS: 38.527971, -121.424004
Sacramento, CA 95820
Published: August 15, 2016
Total records: 10,000+
Sacramento County Cemetery is owned by the Diocese of Sacramento as part of the adjacent St. Mary's Cemetery.
Sacramento County Cemetery was established in 1927 as the County's burial site for indigent persons. Previously, indigent burials took place at New Helvetia Cemetery (est. 1849), Sacramento County Hospital Cemetery (est. 1879), and Sacramento City Cemetery (est. 1849). The last burial took place at Sacramento County Cemetery in June 1961.
The cemetery then went neglected. In 1975, the County sold the cemetery to the Diocese of Sacramento.
On October 4, 2003 the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors, Sacramento County Cemetery Advisory Commission, St. Mary's Cemetery and the Diocese of Sacramento dedicated a Memorial for the 10,000 indigents buried there. St. Mary's Cemetery made a park like setting with trees and shrubbery, allowing natural grasses to grow and mow as necessary.
Records of burials at Sacramento County Cemetery were painstakingly researched by Lois A. Dove in 2003. The document linked below is her work...
County Cemetery, Indigent Burials, 1927 to 1957 (261 pages,
California Death Records
- California Newspapers, Full Search (1846-2007), 459 titles - GenealogyBank.com
- California Obituary Search, (1983-current) - GenealogyBank.com
- California Funeral Notices - GenealogyBank.com