Search Death Records (United States)
- U.S. Newspapers, 50-State Full Search (1690-current)
- U.S. Obituaries, (1976-current)
- Newspaper Funeral Notices
All Hallows by the Tower
GPS: 51.509361, -0.078931
Tower, London EC3R 5BJ
Published: December 30, 2020
Total records: 23
The churchyard no longer exists. It had been located on the church's east side. Today, it rests beneath "Tower Hill Terrace" where there are now eateries, coffee shops, and restrooms.
All Hallows by the Tower History
All Hallows by the Tower had traditionally been known as, "All Hallows Barking". After the Tower of London grew in popularity as a tourist destination, the church opted to change its name to realign itself with the Tower.
The church claims itself to be the "oldest church in London", going on to state that it was founded around AD 675. At the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539 the church belonged to Barking Abbey, a wealthy Benedictine nunnery in Barking, Essex.
The church had been built, torn down, and rebuilt numerous times over the centuries. German bombing during WWII destroyed much of the church, however it was completely restored by 1957.
The churchyard remained in ruins up until 1999 when it was excavated for archaeological study, just prior to redevelopment into the present-day shops and eateries.
Percy C. Rushen Transcription
Percy C. Rushen was a Londoner who in the early 1900's embarked on a project to record the monument inscriptions of churchyards throughout the City of London. The final work was published in a 1910 book entitled, "Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London", by Phillimore & Co. Ltd.
Rushen found the great majority of monuments had become too difficult to read. His book includes only abstracted information from these monuments, not the full inscriptions. For All Hallows by the Tower, he was only able to read 23 monuments...