Search Death Records (United States)
- U.S. Newspapers, 50-State Full Search (1690-current)
- U.S. Obituaries, (1976-current)
- Newspaper Funeral Notices
All Hallows, The Lesser
GPS: 51.509996, -0.089634
1 Angel Ln
London EC4R 3AB
Published: January 4, 2021
Total records: 16
The church and churchyard no longer exists. The church had been located right along Upper Thames St, on the south side of the Street, equidistant from present day Angel Lane and Allhallows Lane. The church and churchyard currently sits underneath a tall glass building occupied by Nomura International. The churchyard would have been about in the center-front of this building.
All Hallows, the Lesser History
All Hallows, the Lesser dates as far back as the 13th Century, possibly earlier. It was destroyed by the Great London Fire of 1666. It had been located right next door to All Hallows, the Great, on its west side.
Unlike All Hallows, the Great, it was not rebuilt after the fire.
The congregation was absorbed into All Hallows, the Great, while the Lesser remained in ruins for centuries later. In the early 1880s, a brewery was built around the remains of the church. By 1894, the remains were finally leveled. In 1896, bodies from the churchyard were disinterred and moved to Brookwood Cemetery.
Percy C. Rushen Transcription
Percy C. Rushen was a Londoner who in the early 1900's embarked on a project to record the monument inscriptions of churchyards throughout the City of London. The final work was published in a 1910 book entitled, "Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London", by Phillimore & Co. Ltd.
Rushen found the great majority of monuments had become too difficult to read. His book includes only abstracted information from these monuments, not the full inscriptions. For All Hallows, the Lesser, he was only able to read 16 monuments...