Search Death Records (United States)
- U.S. Newspapers, 50-State Full Search (1690-current)
- U.S. Obituaries, (1976-current)
- Newspaper Funeral Notices
All Hallows, The Great
GPS: 51.509361, -0.078931
94-95 Upper Thames Street
Published: December 30, 2020
Total records: 17
The church and churchyard no longer exists. The church had been located right along Upper Thames St, right next to the Cannon Street Railway Bridge on its east side. Today, it lies underneath the Dowgate Fire Station.
All Hallows, the Great History
All Hallows, the Great dates as far back a the 11th Century, possibly earlier. It was destroyed by the Great London Fire of 1666. It was later completely rebuilt. However, as traffic along Upper Thames St. became congested, the church's buildings began to suffer from cart wheels rubbing against its walls or colliding with its edifice.
The tower and north aisle of All-Hallows-the-Great were demolished in 1876 so that Upper Thames Street could be widened. A new tower was built on the south, but in 1894, the rest of the church was demolished, the furnishings dispersed and the parish combined with that of St. Michael Paternoster Royal.
A brewery was built on the site in the early 1880's. The churchyard still remained, along with the newly rebuilt tower on the south, with the brewery growing up around it. However, in 1964 the remains of the churchyard and tower were demolished. The bodies had been removed to Brookwood Cemetery.
Percy C. Rushen Transcription
Percy C. Rushen was a Londoner who in the early 1900's embarked on a project to record the monument inscriptions of churchyards throughout the City of London. The final work was published in a 1910 book entitled, "Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London", by Phillimore & Co. Ltd.
Rushen found the great majority of monuments had become too difficult to read. His book includes only abstracted information from these monuments, not the full inscriptions. For All Hallows, the Great, he was only able to read 17 monuments...