|Click photo to enlarge
Queens Lawn Cemetery
Grimsby, Grimsby Twp, Lincoln County, Ontario
Contributed by Paul Morrison, Aug 17, 2000, last edited Jan 20,
Total records = 6,750.
Take QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way) then take the Maple Street off ramp.
Turn south on Maple and travel about 2200ft to stop light at Main
Street East. Turn left onto Main E. and travel east 1300ft. Queens
Lawn Cemetery is on the left (109 Main St. E.). Across from Centennial
In the spring of 1897 the committee for the Village of Grimsby,
negotiated for a portion of Lot 7, Concession 1 to be used as
a public cemetery. The committee agreed to purchase the property
if half of the amount required could be raised from the community.
By March 11th, the names of 165 interested individuals was received.
Following further negotiations, the cemetery committee and Mr.
Nelles, the seller, agreed on a final purchase price of $275.00
per acre with the provision the Mr. Nelles would include a free
road "west of the Yeager property to the main road". (Main road
now being Hwy 81)
On May 01, 1897, and following the passage of a bylaw to "authorize
this purchase of a portion of land suitable for a public cemetery,
situated without the village," the council of the Village of Grimsby
purchased the property now used for Queens Lawn Cemetery.
Twenty-four years later, the entrance gate to Queens Lawn Cemetery
was erected as a memorial to the men and women of Grimsby and
North Grimsby, who gave their lives during the First World War,
1914-1918. The memorial gate was unveiled on Saturday, August
27, 1921 as part of the Old Boys and Girls Reunion.
Saturday, May 24, 1997 was a 100 year anniversary celebrated at
Queens Lawn Cemetery. A new name plaque, which was installed in
the entrance gate, was unveiled.
This cemetery is owned and maintained by the Corporation of the
Town of Grimsby. It is in excellent condition and still active.
I have transcribed from the sexton files. These records are
complete up to Dec 31, 2005.
- Paul Morrison
Ontario Genealogy Links